Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Caesarian Section: easiest way out?

"It's the easiest way out."

Sounds like a plan?
Well, I 've read it in a blog posted randomly on Facebook.
Incidentally, the post is about childbirth and caesarian section.

Out of my 5 deliveries, only 1 is via normal section.

I had my CS with my second child. I wasn't prepared as I had a normal delivery previously.
Just like my first child, I was just having my usual check up when I was given a go signal for admission.
It was 1pm of 2 July 2002 when I was wheeled to my room.

For the rest of the day up until 8pm, I have no pain. I am, in fact, just lying on my bed enjoying a game of Unreal Tournament in between feeding my firstborn.

I am getting bored and impatient. My OB visited me and ordered that I be induced. Honestly, I was scared as I found the experience with my first really painful. But obviously, I have no choice and so the inducing started. An hour later and still no pain. Another hour, none. when it should have started minutes after the meds are injected thru my IV. I thought it was just fine. I slept through the night and waited. At around 6 am the following day, my SO (significant other) was called to the nurse station.  He came back after a few minutes and he was ghostly pale. He told me that he just gotten off the phone with my Ob and that I was to be cut open. He asked me if I'm okay with it and assured me that he'll be by my side just like the last time. 8 am was the schedule given. While I was having breakfast, the anesthesiologist came and explained to us what to be expected of the procedure. She was so jolly that I almost forgot how painful her story was.



A little over 8 am, I am being prepped in the OR.  I went hysterical when the anesthisia that  was injected to my spine started its magic. I felt heavy blocks are being piled on my legs. I was kicking and gasping for air. An oxygen tube was placed in my nostrils and two interns were holding each of my hands. Moments later, I felt something cold being applied to my tummy. I can't see it as they placed a cloth just below my ribcage to block my sight. My mind is restless. Fear, anxiety and more inexplicable emotions enveloped me. A loud cry covered the silence of the OR, my son has been born. My OB held him to my chest and that's about it.

I woke up in the recovery room in clean clothes and a much flatter tummy. I was now able to process that my son was indeed delivered safely.

Well, I have 3 more sons delivered via CS. It's going to be a novel if do the narration here so I'll spare you all. I'll give you a rundown though,  my 2nd CS (3rd child), it was an emergency operation. He came earlier than the given schedule. Also, I was hoping for a VBAC or vaginal birth after caesarian but it didn't push through as I had a different attending OB. My previous doctor has migrated abroad a year earlier. My fourth stuck with his schedule and came right on time. while my fifth was born 4 days earlier.

Was it painful?

During the operation, I felt nothing but the cold thing on my tummy. Other than that, none.
After the procedure, still none. Not until the anesthisia has worn out which is most likely a day after. But it won't hurt as much as the catheter being pulled out. Harhar... That's a different story. Anyway, while in the hospital, pain relievers are being given either orally or thru IV.
I have high tolerance in pain which also made the ordeal less traumatic.

What's more painful is the fact that my receiving table is full of delicious food but I am not allowed to eat yet.  I am starving but can't eat because I need to poop first, and can't drink until I pee.
The reason for that is because being able to pee and poop establishes the normal circulation of the digestive tract of the mother.

I was in the hospital for 3 days.
When I was discharged, I can already stand up straight with my belly binder but whenever I feel nauseous, I'd sit down.
Complete healing process vary from one person to another. I was relatively young when I had my operation and I believe that may have something to do with my haste recovery. Also, the weather where we were residing has its contribution. And perhaps the support system that I had that time.

Now, if you are to ask me if that's the easiest way out? No, it wasn't.
In any medical scenario whether childbirth or sickness that requires surgery or operation, there are a lot to prepare.
Very important to consider is the patient's body, not only her physical but mental state of health.
It entails more than just a day of notice. In this kind of incidents, surprises are not appreciated.
Given that the operation was scheduled, (like what I had with my succeeding pregnancies) still, being prepared emotionally, mentally and physically is a must.
There's no exemption whether scheduled or emergency.
Recovery is longer than normal delivery so is the postpartum care given which is also post op care.
Add to it the cost of expenses.

Now, is it the easiest way out? You do the thinking.

Postpartum post op care in the next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Budget Travel with Kids

After long years of yearning and planning, we finally made it. Our family  will be going on our first trip abroad-Hong Kong. ...