Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Postpartum care for CS


I am on my most fragile state after I had my CS operation. Primarily because I can't stand up straight and my wound needs to be cared for.

During my first operation, I wasn't prepared as I was expecting  a normal delivery. Thankfully, the hospital where I was confined have all the supplies needed. From the usual gauze pads, wound cleaning kits and the belly binder.

I woke up hours after the operation all cleaned up, complete with gauze and binder. The binder that my SO (significant other) got for me is made from muslin cloth "katsa". It is overlapping, and you basically have to put one strip on top of the other and that is to be secured with a safety pin. It was tedious and though I have mastered doing it on my own, having someone to do it for you is much better. You have to make sure that you put it securely as it tends to slip and it won't do any good either to you or your wound. Its primary purpose is to support your lower abdomen- the area where your wound is. Also, it helps you maintain your posture. You'll know if it isn't done properly when you can't stand up and walk straight and of course if it slips. But don't make it too tight, it's not good either. I used my binder only for a week because it's a little irritating. It depends on you, mommies, if you would want to use it longer.




        


I used the same binder for all my CS post operation care.  I kept it all those years for sentimental value only to be appeased that it will still be useful aside from being a memorabilia.


You might want to check these links for more choices of binders, http://www.mypostpartumwellness.com/best-abdominal-binder-after-c-section/
or
https://www.facebook.com/urbanessentialsinc/
or
http://www.philshopping.com/product_info.php?id=928




During those years, 2002, 2004 and 2007, I used the "old school" wound cleaning kit- hydrogen peroxide, betadine solution, dressing pad, Intertulle gauze and micropore. And I didn't bathe my upper body for a week for fear that I might wet my wound and get infections.

But with my operation last year 2015, everything was different.  I was amazed because when I woke up post operation, I do not have the usual dressing. I had Tegaderm +, it's a water proof medicated transparent film dressing self adhesive pad.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-3M-TEGADERM-TRANSPARENT-DRESSING-1626W-/301063479167

A week after I was discharged was the only time it was replaced. It is breathable and the good thing is I can take a bath without worrying that I  get it wet and consequently catch an infection.

I am so grateful that my body recovers significantly quick. By first week, I can walk like nothing happened. But of course, I was extra careful.  My high tolerance in pain also helped as I am not a fan of pain relievers/ killers. My skin has also regained its natural color because I sun bathe every morning with my baby. My external wound was healed by the 2nd week, even my OB was surprised.

My diet consists of the following:

  • lots of water
  • pure cow's milk and yoghurt from the our local dairy farm
  • soya milk (if cow's milk is not available)- we buy from the "magtataho"
  • malunggay tea with honey ( my SO boils malunggay leaves every single day for 2 months straight)--for milk production
  • at least once a week, we have clams prepared as soup
  • fruits and vegetables
  • Iron and Calcium vitamins
Having a surgery is not an excuse to laze around. The more you lay down, the longer your recovery will be. It helps to do light walking and please do so standing straight. If you walk crouching, not only will it hurt your back, your wound's healing will also be hampered. Do not do heavy lifting.  The only weight your body can carry for the time being is your baby. Also, follow your doctor's recommendations. If you feel pain, consult your doctor. If you're queasy, take a rest.  Don't self medicate. And delegate tasks among your family members, helper or your SO (significant other)

Postpartum if not dealt with proper care and support may lead to either medical or mental health problems. 

Have fun with your little one. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Budget Travel with Kids

After long years of yearning and planning, we finally made it. Our family  will be going on our first trip abroad-Hong Kong. ...