Friday, November 4, 2016

Caesarian for PhP950

What's the catch?

Most of you might be wondering that. Well, what could possibly be the catch aside from me having my baby via CS?

Let me get this clear, for I know some of you might be raising your gorgeous eyebrows.

I'll be having my fifth child and whether I like it or not, it's going to be thru an incision on my tummy. It's my 4th CS.  While 3 repeat CS is regarded as the safest limit, I crossed the bridge; after 8 years.

Anyway, I have 4 grown school aged kids. Two are in high school already while the other 2 are in grade school. The expenses in our household is riveting high; but upon learning of my pregnancy, we managed to save not only for the hospitalization but for the rest of his would-be needs.


It's been 8 years since my last pregnancy and so everything seemed new. My previous OB has gone abroad and so I have to get a new one. I relied on word of mouth but I also trusted my instincts. I've had 3 OBs in 2 months. Yes, I was choosy. I was looking for someone who would treat me as a patient and not a walking ATM. I wanted someone who is willing to spare a little of her time and not the-taxi-is-waiting-i-have-to-go type of doctor. I am pregnant, I am heavy carrying a much heavier load. I waited too long to have a consultation and yet here you are trying to get rid of me. I hate doctors like that. That made me jump from one to another. 

I had an OB who I thought was so generous, she took vitamins from her cabinet and handed them to me. I thought they were free; only to be surprised that it was included in my bill. Scheming, vvvvery!

Also, every check up, I'd ask how much the professional fee and how much it will cost me if I avail her services for my childbirth. 

Here are the samples:

OB 1: PhP 70k including ligation, private room in a private hospital, 1 day. ( seriously?>!?)            
          (Philhealth already deducted PhP 19k for CS)

OB 2: PhP 50k including ligation, semi private room ( 2 patients in a room), 3 days--prepare incidentals
          in case medicines are not evailable in the pharmacy. (Philhealth deducted)

OB 3: PhP 36k including ligation, semi private room in a government/ private hospital, 3 days.
          (Philhealth deducted)

Most likely, you have an idea who I chose. Yes, I chose OB 3. Unfortunately, she was also pregnant that time and she's ahead by 1 month. 

But then at least I have an idea of how much we will be shelling out. Then the frugal me knocked me on my head.  I had an idea - go to a government hospital with a private doctor. The cost is minimal but the services are at par. 

I did a lot of research. And from there, I based my judgements. My SO and I visited our local government out patient clinic. Being a government facility, there are a lot of people, all coming from different walks of life. I had no qualms. I wanted to save more. And besides, this isn't my first time. It won't affect how much I love my son. (My four older kids were all born in a private hospital, in suites.)

I've always said this about hospitals "hold up with consent"
But honestly, I felt differently with it now.

Going back,.
Clinic opens at 8 am but queue starts as early as 5 am, Monday- Friday 8-3pm and on Saturdays 8-12 pm. 
Last issuance of yellow card( entry pass) is at 12pm every weekdays.
(I won't give you a detailed procedure here as it may vary depending on your area) But if you're from Baguio, leave a comment and I'll give you a rundown.

We arrived past 6am. My number then was already 126. However, since it's a clinic with different departments, I was 12th on the OB list.  I had my check up and it turned out well. 
In fact, I had 4 visits with the resident OB and my name was listed for Charity. 
yes, I was under Charity case. Who cares? It was never an issue. 

Along with my being in Charity, we also took time to polish my Philhealth membership and contribution which has been dormant for so long. I have my own, individual paying membership. I updated my info and got a copy of my  MDR or Member Data Record. I was instructed by Ate Rosie ( City Hall satellite office) to have it photocopied along with the receipt of my payment of contribution and my ID. She told me to make sure that I have everything ready. I did.

We have established everything already. from the hospital, to Philhealth and my schedule. Our bags are also packed. In my maternity bag are my essentials-clothes, towels, undies, socks, toiletries, maternity pads included, my ever reliable binder. I also put an envelope containing the documents that I have secured, Philhealth documents, certificates, IDs, Admission referral slip, ATM card, pens, and my Padre Pio prayer book. And of course my baby's bag.


Now, the time has come. It was 4 days earlier, actually. (check my other post- "Why the rush?")
I had an emergency CS. My son was born at 541am.

After my operation, I was placed in a big room full of beds and mothers and babies. I was shocked, to say the least. Imagine, on that month alone, around 50 babies were born. Anyway, they wheeled me in at 12pm. But, we already reserved a Philhealth room. Technically, it is a room within a bigger room. Compared to the ward, we have our own private enclosed space with door. It has a much private common CR to be shared by 6 mothers and their companions and there is a designated nurse to attend to all 6 of us. The rate of a Philhealth room is PhP500/day. Not bad, huh?

Like in a private hospital with a private doctor, I was constantly visited by the resident OB. My son was monitored by the resident Pedia. He also had newborn screening test as well as the hearing test. 
Note: I don't recall the hearing test being done to my 4 children. Everything is much different in a government hospital. They encourage breastfeeding instead of bottle feeding. 

On my last day since all the necessary papers were already filled up and documents were already submitted, we just waited for the nurse to tell us if our name has been called already. (Nurse brings the papers to the Cashier, Cashier puts it in queue, then prepares all charges, once everything is ready, Cashier calls Nurse. Nurse tells companion to pay so forth.)

My statement of account showed all the charges- from the PF of the OB, Anesthisiologist and Pediatrician, OR and recovery room charges as well as the Philheath room, medicines and also the newborn screening test 21 deficiency. 

Everything was covered by Philhealth. We only have to pay PhP950 for the Newborn Screening Test. 
The test is PhP1250 but Philhealth took PhP500 from it.

So, that's how I had my CS for PhP950.

From 70, 50, 36k , we ended with a much better deal. 

We saved tremendously which we used for his baptismal celebration.












Moral:
It doesn't apply to everyone. I am a very low maintenance person and I know my priorities. As I 've said, I also did researches. I didn't just jump on this whole thing without knowledge of what I'm getting myself into. I won't let our health and welfare be compromised by my being frugal. Things were balanced out. And like the usual, prior to my operation, we visited the hospital several times.  I knew what to expect. Initially, my SO was against my being in a government hospital. His concerns are- equality among our children, and privacy. 
We managed and more importantly, we were able to save. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Budget Travel with Kids

After long years of yearning and planning, we finally made it. Our family  will be going on our first trip abroad-Hong Kong. ...